Skip to main content

Nonimmigrant Visa Information

Below is a list of many of the different categories of nonimmigrant visas, some of which allow for spouses and minor children to accompany the primary visa holder on dependent visas.

  • Diplomatic employees (A-1), foreign government officials (A-2) and their personal employees (A-3);
  • Visitors for business (B-1) or for pleasure (B-2);
  • Transit visas (pass-through at an airport or seaport);
  • Crewmembers (air or sea);
  • Treaty Traders (E-1), Treaty Investors (E-2) or Australian professionals (E-3)
  • Students (F-1)
  • Temporary Workers, including professionals (H-1B), Free Trade professionals from Chile or Singapore (H-1B1), nurses (H-1C), agricultural workers(H-2A), temporary or seasonal workers (H-2B), or trainees (H-3)
  • Exchange visitors (e.g., educational exchange students, au pairs, graduate medical trainees, students, professors and researchers, short-term scholars, camp counselors)
  • Fiancés and fiancées of U.S. citizens (K-1) and their dependent minor children (K-2), and spouses of U.S. citizens (K-3) and their dependent minor children (K-4)
  • Intracompany transferees, including executives or managers (L-1A), or persons with specialized knowledge (L-1B)
  • Individuals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics (O-1), support personnel (O-2)
  • Religious Workers (R-1)
  • Athletes & entertainment groups (e.g. orchestras) and support personnel (P-1)
  • Certain individuals supplying critical information relating to criminal organization or terrorism
  • Individuals from Canada or Mexico who are permitted to enter under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
  • Victims of Trafficking in persons (T)
  • Victims of crime who have suffered abuse and are cooperating with the U.S. government in investigation or prosecution of the crime (U)
  • Visa waiver for business or pleasure (WB, WT)